Saturday, June 8, 2013

How did I get to Misawa?

Well. First things first here. I want to try to be helpful to anyone like myself who has no idea what they're doing.

I flew American Airlines to Tokyo. I definitely recommend them. Both times I've flown with them it's been great. No complaints.

The first time I flew I had a window seat. This was not good. I was cramped while eating, and its no fun to wake up the person next to you if you have to pee. The second time I flew I had an aisle seat on the middle row. This was fantastic because it let me eat meals in peace without being scrunched up, and I was free to get up as I needed to. Basic stuff here, but I wish someone would have warned me. I had never flown on such a long flight before.

When I got to Narita Airport in Tokyo, Bear was waiting for me past customs. There are trains that connect Narita to Tokyo Station. The ticket desks speak English so it was easy to buy tickets. Once we got to Tokyo Station we had a 3 hour layover before a 3 hour train ride to Hachinhoe, which is about 30 minutes from Misawa. I recommend buying tickets for the "Green Car" which is first class, but doesn't really cost much more than normal seats. Very worth it after a long day of travel.

Green Car 
Skymall? Nope, TrainShop.

Tokyo Station is huge. It's busy and fast-paced but there are information desks that are really helpful if you need them. We locked up all my luggage in lockers and had lunch at one of the food courts.







The train ride was great. Lots of great scenery. I'm used to living in the dust bowl, so I was surprised at how green everything is.







The doors on the train open by touch, and I almost pressed the emergency stop button on the way to the restroom. Don't do that.

We got to Hachinohe and Bear drove us to Misawa and my new home. I will tell you that if you have a car, don't be afraid to travel and explore! Google maps and Google translate are your friends! Use them! People are very friendly, especially if you are courteous and respectful.

Happy travels.


No comments:

Post a Comment